1. Asokan M, Sachidanandam V, Satish KS and Ranga U. Attenuation of Immune Activation in an Open-Label Clinical Trial for HIV-AIDS Using a Polyherbal Formulation. Virus Disease, 2014 (accepted, in press).
2. Boullosa J, Bachu M, Bila D, Ranga U, Süffert T, Sasazawa T, Tanuri A. Genetic Diversity in HIV-1 Subtype C LTR from Brazil and Mozambique Generates New Transcription Factor-Binding Sites. Viruses, 23 (6), 2495-2504, 2014.
3. Hanna LE, Neogi U, Ranga U, Swaminathan S and Prasad VR. Phylogenetic characterization of six full-length HIV-1 subtype C molecular clones from three patients : Identification of rare subtype C strains containing two NF-κB motifs in the long terminal repeat (LTR). AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 28, 2014.Pubmed ID:
4. Ramana LN, Sharma S, Sethuraman S, Ranga U, Krishnan UM.Evaluation of chitosan nanoformulations as potent anti-HIV therapeutic systems. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Jan;1840(1):476-84, 2014.
5. Vasudev R Rao, Ujjwal Neogi, Joshua S Talboom, Ligia Padilla, Mustafizur Rahman, Cari Fritz-French, Sandra Gonzalez-Ramirez, Anjali Verma, Charles Wood, Ruth M Ruprecht, Udaykumar Ranga, Tasnim Azim, John Joska, Eliseo Eugenin, Anita Shet, Heather Bimonte-Nelson,William R Tyor, and Vinayaka R Prasad. Clade C HIV-1 isolates circulating in Southern Africa exhibit a greater frequency of dicysteine motif-containing Tat variants than those in Southeast Asia and cause increased neurovirulence. Retrovirology, 10, 61, 2013.
6. Mangaiarkarasi Asokan, Imtiaz Nisar Lone, Anil Babu Mukthey, Paul Siddhartha, Gayathri Mariappa, Praveen Kumar Kotehal, Bhuthiah Satish, Eugene Wilson, Savariraj Sahayam, Gopinath Velayutham, Rajalakshmi Perumal, Karthikeyan Baskaran, Devanathan Rengarajan, Ravichandran Muthusamy, Mariamma Philip, K C Ravindra, Jeelan N Basha, Pushpak Mizar, Gurvinder Kaur, Narinder K Mehra, Tapas K Kundu, D K Subbakrishna, Kadappa Shivappa Satish, Udaykumar Ranga. Evident stabilization of the clinical profile in HIV/AIDS as evaluated in an open-label clinical trial using a polyherbal formulation, Ind J Med Research, 137, 69-85, 2013.
7. Mahesh Bachu, Swarupa Yalla, Mangaiarkarasi Asokan, Anjali Verma, Ujjwal Neogi, Shilpee Sharma, Rajesh V Murali, Anil Babu Mukthey, Raghavendra Bhatt, Snehajyothi Chatterjee, Roshan Elsa Rajan, Narayana Cheedarla, Venkat S Yadavalli, Anita Mahadevan, Susarla K Shankar, Nirmala Rajagopalan, Anita Shet, Shanmugam Saravanan, Pachamuthu Balakrishnan, Suniti Solomon, Madhu Vajpayee, Kadappa Shivappa Satish, Tapas K. Kundu, Kuan-Teh Jeang, and Udaykumar Ranga. Multiple NF-κB sites in HIV-1 subtype C LTR confer superior magnitude of transcription and thereby the enhanced viral predominance. J Biol Chem, 287 (53), 44714-35, 2012.
8. Lakshmi Narashimhan Ramana*, Shilpee Sharma*, Swaminathan Sethuraman, Udaykumar Ranga, Uma Maheswari Krishnan. Investigation on the stability of saquinavir loaded liposomes: Implication on stealth, release characteristics and cytotoxicity. Int J Pharmaceut, 431, 120-129, 2012 (* equal contribution).
9. Bachu M, Anilbabu M, Rajesh MV, Narayanaiah C, Mahadevan A, Shankar SK, Satish KS, Kundu TK, Ranga U. Sequence insertions in the HIV-1 subtype C viral promoter predominantly generate an additional NF-κB binding site. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 28, 1362-1368, 2012.
10. Neogi, U., S. Gupta, P. N. Sahoo, A. Shet, S. D. Rao, U. Ranga, and V. R. Prasad. Genetic characterization of HIV-1 Tat exon 1 from a southern Indian clinical cohort: identification of unique epidemiological signature residues. AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses, 28(9), 1152-6, 2012.
11. Gadad SS, Senapati P, Syed SH, Rajan RE, Shandilya J, Swaminathan V, Chatterjee S, Colombo E, Dimitrov S, Pelicci PG, Ranga U, Kundu TK. The multifunctional protein nucleophosmin (NPM1) is a human linker histone H1 chaperone. Biochemistry, 250 (14), 2780-9, 2011.
12. Gadad SS, Rajan RE, Senapati P, Chatterjee S, Shandilya J, Dash PK, Ranga U and Kundu TK. HIV-1 Infection Induces Acetylation of NPM1That Facilitates Tat Localization and EnhancesViral Transactivation. J Mol Biol, 410, 997-1007, 2011.
13. Liu Y, Nonnemacher MR, Stauff DL, Li L, Banerjee A, Irish B, Kilareski E, Rajagopalan N, Suchitra JB, Khan ZK, Ranga U, Wigdahl B. Structural and functional studies of CCAAT/enhancer binding sites within the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C LTR. Biomed Pharmacother, 64, 672-680, 2010.
14. Neogi U, Prarthana SB, D'Souza G, Decosta A, Kuttiatt VS, Ranga U, Shet A. Co-receptor tropism prediction among 1045 Indian HIV-1 subtype C sequences: Therapeutic implications for India. AIDS Res Ther. 7, 24, 2010.
15. Ramana LN, Sethuraman S, Ranga U, Krishnan UM. Development of a liposomal nanodelivery system for nevirapine. J Biomed Sci.17, 57, 2010.
16. Madhavi Y, Puliyel JM, Mathew JL, Raghuram N, Phadke A, Shiva M, Srinivasan S, Paul Y, Srivastava RN, Parthasarathy A, Gupta S, Ranga U, Lakshmi VV, Joshi N, Nath I, Gulhati CM, Chatterjee P, Jain A, Priya R, Dasgupta R, Sridhar S, Dabade G, Gopakumar KM, Abrol D, Santhosh MR, Srivastava S, Visalakshi S, Bhargava A, Sarojini NB, Sehgal D, Selvaraj S, Banerji D. Evidence-based National Vaccine Policy. Indian J Med Res. 131, 617-28, 2010.
17. Kumar GG, Mahadevan A, Guruprasad AS, Kovoor JM, Satishchandra P, Nath A, Ranga U, Shankar SK. Eccentric target sign in cerebral toxoplasmosis: neuropathological correlate to the imaging feature. J Magn Reson Imaging. 31(6), 1469-72, 2010.
18. Sanchari Bhattacharyya, Roshan Elizabeth Rajan, Ujjwal Rathore, Yalla Swaroopa, Anjali Verma, Udaykumar Ranga and Raghavan Varadarajan. Design of a non-glycosylated outer domain derived HIV-1 gp120 immunogen that binds to CD4 and induces neutralizing antibodies. J Biol Chem, 285 (35), 27100-110, 2010.
19. Sreenath K, Pavithra L, Singh S, Sinha S, Dash PK, Siddappa NB, Ranga U, Mitra D, Chattopadhyay S. Nuclear Matrix protein SMAR1 represses HIV-1 LTR mediated transcription through chromatin remodeling. Virology, 400 (1),76-85, 2010.
20. Susmita Gurjar, Anita Desai, Mangaiarkarasi A, Udaykumar Ranga, V Ravi. Molecular characterization of a full- length genome of HIV-2 isolate from India. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 52 (3), 329-335, 2009.
21. Venkatesh Prasanna Kashi, Rajesh Abraham Jacob, Siddhartha Paul, Kaustuv Nayak, Soumya Swaminathan, Satish KS, Udaykumar Ranga. HIV-1 Tat-specific IgG antibodies in high-responders target a B-cell epitope in the cysteine-rich domain and block extracellular Tat efficiently Vaccine. Vaccine, 27, 6739-6747, 2009.
22. Vasudev R. Rao, Andrew R. Sas, Eliseo A. Eugenin, Nagadenahalli B. Siddappa, Heather Bimonte-Nelson, Joan W. Berman, Udaykumar Ranga, William R. Tyor, and Vinayaka R. Prasad. Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Clade-Specific Differences in the Induction of Neuropathogenesis. The Journal of Neuroscience, 28 (41), 10010-16, 2008.
23. Prasanta K Dash, Nagadenahalli B Siddappa, Asokan Mangaiarkarasi, Aruna V Mahendarkar, Padmanabhan Roshan, Krishnamurthy K Anand, Anita Mahadevan, Parthasarathy Satishchandra, Susarla K Shankar, Vinayaka R Prasad, Udaykumar Ranga. ‘Exceptional molecular and coreceptor-requirement properties of molecular clones isolated from an Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type-1 subtype-C infection’, Retrovirology, 5, 25, 2008. Note: Highly accessed. http://www.retrovirology.com/content/5/1/25
24. Mahadevan A, Tagore R, Siddappa NB, Santosh V, Yasha TC, Ranga U, Chandramouli BA, Shankar SK. Giant serpentine aneurysm of vertebrobasilar artery mimicking dolichoectasia--an unusual complication of pediatric AIDS. Report of a case with review of the literature. Clin.Neuropathol. 27 (1):37-52, 2008.
25. Kavitha Y, Thomas S, Damodaran A, Ramakrishna L, Ranga U, Manjunath R. ‘Replication of Japanese encephalitis virus in mouse brain induces alterations in lymphocyte response’. Acta Virol., 51 (3):179-87, 2007.
26. Mahadevan A, Shankar SK, Satishchandra P, Ranga U, Chickabssavaiah YT, Vani S, Ravi V, Pardo CA, Nath A, Zink MC. ‘Characterization of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-Infected Cells in Infiltrates Associated With CNS Opportunistic Infections in Patients With HIV Clade C Infection’. Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology. 66 (9): 799-808, 2007.
27. Mamata Mishra, S. Vetrivel, N. B. Siddappa, Udaykumar Ranga, Pankaj Seth. Clade Specific Neurotoxicity of HIV Tat: Significance of the Dicysteine C30C31 Motif. Annals of Neurology, 63 (3), 366-376, 2007.
28. Nagadenahalli Byrareddy Siddappa, Prasanna Venkatesh Kashi, Mohanram Venkatramanan, Balsiddaiah Anangi, Narayana Jayasuryan, Anita Mahadevan, Anita Desai, Satish KS, Shankar SK, Vasanthapuram Ravi, and Udaykumar Ranga. ‘Construction and characterization of dual reporter vectors for gene expression analysis of Human Immunodeficiency Virus type-1 promoter’, AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, 23, 1268-1278, 2007.
29. Mantelingu K, Reddy BA, Swaminathan V, Kishore AH, Siddappa NB, Kumar GV, Nagashankar G, Natesh N, Roy S, Sadhale PP, Ranga U, Narayana C, Kundu TK. Specific Inhibition of p300-HAT Alters Global Gene Expression and Represses HIV Replication. Chemistry and Biology, 14 (6), 645-657, 2007.
30. Siddappa NB, Avinash A, Vekataramanan M, Ranga U. Regeneration of commercial nucleic acid extraction columns without the risk of carryover contamination. BioTechniques, 42 (2), 186-192, 2007. http://www.biotechniques.com/article.asp?id=112327
31. Mahadevan A, Satishchandra P, Prachet KK, Sidappa NB, Ranga U, Santosh V, Yasha TC, DesaiA, Ravi V, Shankar SK. Optic nerve axonal pathology is related to abnormal visual evoked responses in AIDS. Acta Neuropathol (Berl), 112(4): 461-9, 2006.
32. Nagadenahalli B. Siddappa, Mohanram Venkatramanan, Prasanna Venkatesh, Narayana Jayasuryan, Anita Desai, Vasanthapuram Ravi, Udaykumar Ranga. ‘Transactivation and signaling functions of Tat are not correlated: biological and immunological characterization of HIV-1 subtype-C Tat protein’, Retrovirology, 3, 53, 2006. Note: Highly accessed
33. Nagadenahalli Byrareddy Siddappa, Prashanta Kumar Dash, Anita Mahadevan, Anita Desai, Narayana Jayasuryan, Vasanthapuram Ravi, Parthasarathy Satishchandra, Susarla K. Shankar, Udaykumar Ranga. Identification of unique B/C recombinant strains of HIV-1 in the Southern State of Karnataka, India. AIDS, 19 (13), 1426-1429, 2005.
34. Shankar SK, Mahadevan A, Satishchandra P, Kumar RU, Yasha TC, Santosh V, Chandramuki A, Ravi V, Nath A. Neuropathology of HIV/AIDS with an overview of the Indian scene. Indian J Med Res, 121 (4), 468-488, 2005.
35. Balasubramanyam K, Varier RA, Altaf M, Swaminathan V, Siddappa NB, Ranga U, Kundu TK. ‘Curcumin, a novel p300/CBP-specific inhibitor of acetyltransferase, represses the acetylation of histones/nonhistones proteins and histone acetyltransferase-dependent chromatin transcription’, J Biol Chem, 279, 51163-51171, 2004.
36. Ramakrishna L, Anand KK, Mohankumar KM, Ranga U. ‘Codon optimization of an inherently non-immunodominant HIV-1 antigen generates strong immune responses in mice following genetic immunization’, J. Virol., 78, (17), 9174-9189, 2004.
37. Siddappa NB, Prashanta Kumar Dash, Jayasuryan Narayana, Anita Mahadevan, Bethany Hoffman, Randy Keefe, Kadappa Shivappa Satish, Bhuthiah Satish, Kuttan Sreekanthan, Kandala Venu, Satishchandra P, Ravi V, Shankar SK, Shankarappa R, Udaykumar Ranga. Identification of Subtype C Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 by Subtype-Specific Polymerase Chain Reaction and Its Use in the Characterization of Viruses Circulating in the Southern Parts of India’. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 42 (6), 2742-2751, 2004.
38. Sanjib Sinha, Thomas Mathews, GR Arunodaya, Nagadenahalli B. Siddappa, Udaykumar Ranga, A Desai, V Ravi and AB Tally. ‘HIV-1 clade C associated ALS-like disorder: First report from India’. J. Neurol. Sciences, 224, 97-100, 2004.
39. Ramakrishna L, Anand KK, Mahalingam M, Mohankumar KM, Shilpa R, Siddappa NB, Ranga U. ‘Codon optimization and ubiquitin conjugation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Tat lead to enhanced cell-mediated immune responses’ Vaccine, 22 (20), 2586-2598, 2004.
40. Ranga U, Shankarappa R, Siddappa NB, Lakshmi R, Nagendran R, Mahalingam M, Mahadevan A, Narayana J, Satishchandra P, Shankar SK and Prasad VR. ‘Tat protein of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type-1 subtype C viruses is a defective chemokine’ J. Virol, 78 (5), 2586-2590, 2004.
41. Shankar SK, Satishchandra P, Mahadevan A, Nalini A, Ranga Udaykumar, Vani S, Yasha TC, Ravi V. ‘Neurological Disorders Associated with HIV/AIDS: Asian Perspective’ J Neurovirol, 9, (Supplement 3), 13-14, 2003.
42. Ravi Vijaya Satya, Amer Mukherjee and Udaykumar Ranga. ‘A Pattern Matching Algorithm for Codon Optimization and CpG Motif-Engineering in DNA Expression Vectors’ IEEE Conference proceedings, 2003.
43. Udaykumar Ranga ‘Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 subtypes: Could genetic diversity translate to differential pathogenesis?’ J. IISc, 82, 73-91, 2002.
44. Ramakrishna Lakshmi, Vijaya Baskar and Udaykumar Ranga. ‘Extraction of Superior Quality Plasmid DNA by a Combination of Modified Alkaline Lysis and Silica Matrix’ Anal Biochem, 272, 109-112, 1999.
45. Verma S, Woffendin C, Bahner I, Ranga U, Xu L, Yang Z-Y, King SR, Kohn DB, and Nabel GJ. ‘Gene transfer into human umbilical cord blood-derived CD34+ cells by particle-mediated gene transfer’ Gene Therapy, 5, 692-699, 1998.
46. Udaykumar Ranga, Clive Woffendin, Sunita Verma, Ling Xu, Carl H. June, D. Keith Bishop and Gary J. Nabel.: `Enhanced T cell engraftment after retroviral delivery of an antiviral gene in HIV-infected individuals’. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 95, 1201-1206, 1998.
47. Udaykumar Ranga, Zhi-Yong Yang, Ling Xu, Dan Littman, Clive Woffendin and Gary J Nabel. `Cell and viral regulatory elements enhance the efficacy of an HIV inhibitory gene'. J Virol, 71, 7020-7029, 1997.
48. Clive Woffendin, Udaykumar Ranga and Gary J. Nabel: `Gene delivery to lymphocytes for HIV therapy (Unit 13.7). In Current Protocols in Human Genetics. Eds. Nicholas C. Dracopoli, Jonathan L. Haines, Bruce R. Korf, Donald T. Moir, Cynthia C. Mortn, Christine E. Seidman, Jonathan G. Seidman and Douglas R. Smith, 1996. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Brooklyn, New York.
49. Clive Woffendin, Udaykumar Ranga, Zhi-Yong Yang, Ling Xu and Gary J Nabel. `Expression of a protective gene prolongs survival of T cells in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients'. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 93, 2889-2894, 1996.
50. Bernard A Fox, Clive Woffendin, Zhi-Yong Yang, Hong San, Udaykumar Ranga, David Gordon, John Osterholzer and Gary J Nabel. `Genetic modification of human peripheral blood lymphocytes with a transdominant negative form of Rev: safety and toxicity'. Human Gene Therapy, 6, 997-1004, 1995.
51. Clive Woffendin, Zhi-Yong Yang, Udaykumar, Ling Xu, Ning-Sun Yang, Michael J. Sheehy and Gary J. Nabel. `Nonviral and viral delivery of a human immunodeficiency virus protective gene into primary human T cells'. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 91, 11581-11585, 1994.
52. Udaykumar, Alonso Heredia, Vincent Soriano, Rosa Bravo, Jay S Epstein and Indira K Hewlett. Enhanced diagnostic efficiency of the polymerase chain reaction by co-amplification of multiple regions of HIV-1 and HIV-2. J Virol Meth, 49, 37-46, 1994.
53. Anila Prabhu, Udaykumar, Apurva Sarin and Rajiv K. Saxena.: `Immune response to environmental exposure or specific immunization with antigens of Mycobacterium tuberculosis' pp.253-258, 1994. In Environment and Physiology, Eds. B. N. Malik and R. Singh, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, India.
54. Udaykumar and RK Saxena. `E. Coli reactive antibody in human tuberculosis sera'. Ind J Tuberc, 41, 29-34, 1994.
55. Udaykumar, Jay S Epstein and Indira K Hewlett. ‘A novel method employing UNG to avoid carry-over contamination in RNA-PCR’. Nucleic Acids Res, 21, 3917-3918, 1993.
56. Udaykumar and Saxena RK. ‘Acid pH induced changes in the immunoreactivity of specific antigen and antibody in circulating immune complexes from tuberculosis sera’. J Clin Lab Analysis, 6, 194-200, 1992.
57. Udaykumar, Sarin R and Saxena RK. `Analysis of Circulating Immune Complexes in tuberculosis: Levels of specific antibody and antigen in CIC and relationship with serum antibody'. FEMS Microbiol Immunol, 76, 135-142, 1991.
58. Udaykumar and Saxena RK `Nature of antigenic epitopes on Mycobacterium tuberculosis recognized by antibodies in tuberculosis and mouse antisera'. FEMS Microbiol Immunol, 76, 7-12, 1991.
59. Udaykumar, Sarin A, and Saxena RK. `T- and B- cell reactivity of mycobacterial antigens fractionated by Isoelectric focusing'. pp.17-22. In `Recent Trends in Immunology and Biochemistry. Edited by G.N.Johri, P.K.Goyal and B.R.Das. Proceedings of the National symposium , Vikram University, 1989.