The World Academy of Science (TWAS) for the Advancement of Science in developing countries is an autonomous international organization founded in 1983 in Trieste, Italy, by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world under the leadership of Noble laureate Abdus Salam of Pakistan. It was officially launched as the “Third World Academy of Sciences” by the Secretary General of the United Nations in 1985.
TWAS’s mission is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.
The Academy’s membership consists of Fellows and Associate Fellows representing the world’s most distinguished scientists: Fellows are citizens of the South; Associate Fellows are citizens of the North who were either born in thc South or have made significant contributions to the advancement of science in the South. At present, TWAS currendy has 1,116 members from 90 countries, 73 of which are developing countries. Fellows living arid working in the South represent 85 percent of the membership.
In 1991, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) assumed responsibility for administering TWAS’s funds and staff. Since its inception, TWAS’s expenses have largely been covered by generous contributions from the Italian government. In ]anuary 2004, the Italian government passed a law that ensures permanent funding tor the Academy’s operations. Representatives of the ltalian government and UNESCO sit on TWAS’s Steering Committee, which meets annually to discuss financial matters.
TWAS has established a few National Chapters in different countries. These Chapters meet to discuss issues of common concern including the role of sustainable development. The Chapters also enables scientists involved with TWAS Research Grants and Fellowship Programmes to link to their nation wider scientific communities.
TWAS has established 5 Regional Offices to enable to organise various programmes for the promotion of science in the developing worlds. These offices cover : (a) Latin American and Carribean region, (b) East and South East Asia and Pacific region, (c) Central and South Asia regions, (d)Arab region and (e) Sub Saharan African region.
The Academy of Sciences for The Developing World (hereinunder referred to as TWAS) and the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (herein under referred to as JNCASR), recognizing the importance of strengthening cooperation and reinforcing the impact of TWAS’s activities in Central and South Asia, hereby agree to the following;
1. ]NCASR shall host the TWAS by providing secretarial and administrative assistance and office space. It shall coordinate efforts to promote the activities of TWAS and its affiliated organizations in Central and South Asia region, including training fellowships, grants, awards, networks, as recommended in the Academy’s current and future strategic plans.
2. In particular, the Regional Partner shall:
(i) enhance the visibility of TWAS among young and promising scientists, policy —makers and media through, for example, the organization of public lectures, discussion meetings, television programmes and local newspapers /magazines;
(ii) identify eminent scientists in the region and nominate them for TWAS membership and awards;
(iii) assess the vitality and effectiveness of TWAS ‘s activities in the region;
(iv) organize activities in areas of science and technology of critical importance to the region;
3. Activities of Regional Partner shall include periodic meetings of TWAS members, TWAS symposia and lectures and the creation of a website to be linked to the TWAS homepage, Reports of activities of Regional Offices shall be published in the TWAS Newsletter and website.
- Young Scientists Online Meeting on “ Air Quality, Water Resources, Energy and Climate Change” click here for details
Click Here For Registration
- Education & Learning – Pandemic Times- November 24-26, 2020
Click Here For Registration
Call for Nomination
- TWAS Young Affiliates 2021
- Science in Exile webinar "Long-term support of refugee and displaced scientists: the power of mentorship"
- African-German Scientific Exchange in the Field of Public Health
- Dissemination - CTBTO Science and Technology Conference 2021 (SnT21)
- Dissemination - Launch of the 2020 TWAS Awards Webinar Series - Invitation to the first webinar on agricultural science, 10 June 2021, 1 p.m., Rome time
- Seed Grant for New African Principal Investigators (SG-NAPI)
- Science in Exile initiative - Dissemination
- AAAS David and Betty Hamburg Award for Science Diplomacy - Dissemination
- 2021 TWAS Regional Award
- 2021 IsDB - TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme Call - Dissemination | Brochure
- 2021 AAAS-TWAS Science Diplomacy training programme - dissemination
- Australian Academy of Sciences - survey and sharing personal stories on pandemic DISSEMINATION
- Call for nominations - 2021 TWAS AWARDS
- CSIR Postgraduate fellowships
- CSIR Postdoctoral fellowships
- SN Bose Postgraduate fellowships
- SN Bose Postdoctoral fellowships\
- TWAS YOUNG AFFILIATESHIP 2021
- OWSD PhD Fellowships
- 2020 TWAS REGIONAL AWARD
- TWAS YOUNG AFFILIATES 2020
- Dissemination - Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization conference
- Call for Nomination for Science Forum South Africa
- survey from the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP)
- Call for Nominations “OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for early career women scientists from the developing world.
- UNESCO Open Science consultation
- Call for Nominations “Refugee and Displaced Young Scientists Programme.
- call for nominations "TWAS Fellow Awards 2020
- Call for Nominations “TWAS YOUNG AFFILIATESHIP 2020
- Call for nominations "TWAS REGIONAL AWARDS 2020
- Call for Applications 2020 - OWSD Early Career Fellowships
- TWAS-Lenovo Science Award in Agricultural Sciences_call for 2020 nominations
- TWAS-ASM Regional Workshop on Science Diplomacy
- Calls for applications - TWAS/BioVisionAlexandria.NXT 2020
- TWAS YOUNG AFFILIATES 2019
- "2020 OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early Career Women Scientists"
- "Nominations invited for 2019 TWAS Women scientists prizes"
- "Nominations invited for 2019 TWAS Regional Prize"
- "CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR YOUNG AFFILIATES - 2019"
- "CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR OWSD PhD and Early Career Fellowship"
- TWAS UNESCO Associateship Scheme 2018 call for applications
- The Call is open for nominations for the OPCW workshop on ‘Policy & Diplomacy for Scientists: Introduction to Responsible Research Practices in Chemical and Biochemical Sciences’, New Delhi, India, 30 Oct – 2 Nov 2018."Note by the Technical Secretariat & Application Form"
- Workshop on Climate Change during December 5-7, 2018
- TWAS Research and Advanced Training Fellowship: 2018 Call for Applications"
- 2018 TWAS Regional Office Prize "Science Diplomacy"
- [Twas Members] Call for nominations_TWAS Awards to scientists in LDCs
- NF_2018CNRRaoAward | NF_TWAS-SamiraOmarPrize_2018
- [Twas Members] Nominations sought_TWAS Prizes and Awards
- Nominations sought _TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize in Engineering Sciences
- [Twas Members] Call for nominations_TWAS Prizes and TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize in Economic Sciences
- 2018 TWAS Young Affiliates - Call for Nomination
- TWASBioVisionAlexandria.NXT 2018
- TWAS Research Professors in Least Developed Countries (LDCs) Programme | Application Form
- Workshop on Policy and Diplomacy for Scientists
- Nominations sought_TWAS Prize and Awards 2017
- TWAS Research and Advanced Training Fellowship: 2017 | Application Form
- Nominations for TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize 2017
- TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize in Geological Sciences | Application Form
- "PRESS RELEASE: Refugee Scientists Workshop"
- "Nominations invited for 2017 TWAS Membership"
- 2017 TWAS Regional Office Prize "Public Understanding and Popularization of Science"
- Nominations sought _ 2017TWAS Prizes and 2017 TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize in Economic Sciences
- TWAS YOUNG AFFILIATES 2017 - Call for Nomination
- Photos of Frontiers in Earth and Climate Science held at Bangalore During 5 - 7 Dec, 2016
- 2016 TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme_deadline 1 December-CONICET'S RESEARCH UNITS
- 2016 TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme_deadline 1 December -Centres Participating in the Scheme
- 2016 TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme_deadline 1 December - APPLICATION FORM
- Young Physician Leaders Programme
- Nominations for TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize 2016
- [TWAS-MBRS] TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize in Chemical Sciences | Application Form
- [TWAS-MBRS]Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Prize 2016
- TWAS Young Affiliates 2016
- TWAS Regional Office Prize 2016
- TWAS/Biovision.NXT 2016
- CNR Rao & Atta-Ur Rahman Prize 2016
Development, Formatting, Production of print-ready copies at ETU Education Technology Unit has developed and produced print-ready copies at ETU.
Books produced in English and Kannada are: Understanding Chemistry by Prof. C.N.R. Rao
Learning Science- Part 1 to 4 by Indumati Rao & C.N. R. Rao
Vignyana Kaliyona - Samputa 1 to Samputa 4 by Indumati Rao and C.N.R. Rao
Prof. V. Krishnan
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research,
Fax: +91-80-22082766 / 22082768
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org